Best of Sanibel Captiva; photo courtsey of Photos by Glenna Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board
A Message Board For Dreamers & Doers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snakes ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> Your Questions & Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
between2waters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Snakes ?? Reply with quote

What kind of snakes are on Sanibel? When we there last week I was walking down the beach by the light house and two little boys were throwing shells at something. I stopped to see what was going on and there were two tan colored snakes in a battle! One snake had the other by the neck and was biting the crap out it. I ask the boys to please stop throwing things at them. The boys ran off down the beach. I ran back and got my husband, because I have never seen anything like this in my life. We stood there for about 20 minutes before the snake that was biting the other let go. Oh boy were they fast!! They both went into a fallen tree. I walked by there everyday to see if they were still hanging around but never saw them again. They were aleast 4 foot apiece. I have a picture of them in battle but I can't get it to print. Thanks, I would love to know what kind they were. Very Happy
CTinCT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the island snakes. You can google the names to get pix (what you saw were probably yellow rat snakes):

http://library.fws.gov/Refuges/j.n.ding_darling_amphib_reptiles98.pdf
angelainwi

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at Pointe Santo right now and hubby and daughter saw a snake on the grounds the other day, a HUGE one.
Snowbird

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most common on the island are Black Racers and Yellow Rat Snakes--both non poisonous. (Although, according to some of the staff at CROW, they will bite!)

http://snowbirdblogspotcom.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> Your Questions & Recommendations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: