Best of Sanibel Captiva; photo courtsey of Photos by Glenna Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board
A Message Board For Dreamers & Doers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shark Sightings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> Beach & Sea - Secrets & Insights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTinCT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Shark Sightings Reply with quote

For the last several days, we and others have had multiple sightings of good sized sharks, at times VERY close in (ten yards or so) off the West Gulf accesses from #2 to #7. (We assume there have been sightings elsewhere that we just haven't heard of yet.) Care is suggested, especially with children.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure they are sharks? They are not common in this area, but dolphins are.
Snowbird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thought too. And the dolphins do come in very close to shore. They often look like they are almost charging the beach.

http://snowbirdblogspotcom.blogspot.com/
CTinCT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sharks, which are common throughout the gulf. They are not dolphins.
Chris-WI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Sharks Reply with quote

CT--Where are the West Gulf Drive accesses that you speak of? Thanks. Chris
CTinCT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is just west of East Rocks; #7 is next to the Blue Dolphin.

PS: they require either a resident A sticker or a handicap pass for parking, although walkers or bikes are fine. (Ticketing seems to go in spurts; fine used to be $35, but I believe has gone up substantially recently.)
Liz Captiva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen them any where else? Captiva? Farther East on Sanibel? In Pine Island Sound? Does anyone have an idea as to what kind they are? I know several species are common around San/Cap. Thanks!
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sharks and stickers Reply with quote

I've been on the beach access areas mentioned, #2-#7 almost every day since January. I have seen many dolphins, no sharks. Last year I saw a number of sharks. I really think what are seen currently are dolphins. I did see 2 dead Hammerheads a couple of weeks ago. 2 footers nothing to worry about.

If you don't have an A sticker (residents only) don't even think about parking a car on the West Gulf accesses, you will get a ticket and a $50 fine. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen a car without a sticker parked illegally and returned later to see a ticket. Just because you have a rental car that won't help. The rental agency will track you down for the fine. Make life easy ride your bike or walk to those beaches.
Chris-WI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Sharks Reply with quote

Actually, my question about the access points was to ascertain the area about which you were talking. I do not need to park there, as I am staying down the beach from one of the points identified. I am not interested in seeing the sharks (have already seen a hammerhead on the beach here), but it helps to know where they are if one is to be cautious. And that of course, is if they are sharks. And I would guess there are some that are not dangerous.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Beach Access Reply with quote

The accesses start just beyond West Wind and are fairly evenly spaced to the Blue Dolphin. There are signs on the beach but some of them are hard to see. If you bike down you can spot the parking areas easily except for #3 which is on the right side of the road not the beach side.
Seahawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacktip and Spinner sharks are migrating north this time of year and are often seen close to the shoreline feeding on small fish. Several Florida beaches have been closed the past couple of days due to the large clusters of sharks close to the shoreline.
Liz Captiva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What beaches have been closed? Any in or near Lee County? Thanks!
Seahawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Deerfield and several others in the Broward and Palm Beach counties.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some video from nbc2.com about the swarm of sharks off Deerfield Beach. (The other coast) no narration just video.

http://www.nbc-2.com/BuildASX.asx?videofilename=050329_sharks.wmv&mswmext=.asx
mjenkins33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

WILD video- so many sharks! Wow, thanks for the link.

Kim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Nothing unusual in seasonal move Reply with quote

A good article from the News-Press:
--------------------------------------------

Sharks migrate near coast
Nothing unusual in seasonal move

By KEVIN LOLLAR
Published by news-press.com on April 1, 2005

For the past few days, television networks have been showing scary aerial footage of sharks cruising menacingly along Southeast Florida shorelines.

But lest anyone in Southwest Florida feel left out: Sharks are on the move here, too.

The presence of sharks doesn't mean, however, that swimmers are suddenly in great danger of becoming shark kibble.

Nor is the presence of sharks now unusual; this is migration season, when various shark species make their way north from winter haunts in the Keys and Florida Bay.

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota have documented that Charlotte Harbor is an important nursery ground for 11 shark species, and sharks give birth to pups in estuaries from Florida Bay to the Panhandle.

Right now, the most common sharks off Lee County will be spinners, which tolerate cooler water than some Florida species. As water temperatures rise, blacktips will move in, followed by hammerheads, then bull sharks.

"We were out two weeks ago doing our regular surveys, and the animals weren't jumping in the boat, but we were getting a good number of spinner sharks," said Bob Hueter, director of Mote's Center for Shark Research. "The ones we were getting were adults, even pregnant females. Part of the group is females staging themselves to come into the nursery areas."

Throughout the summer, adult sharks remain offshore, though females come into estuaries to pup.

Then the pups stay in the nursery grounds until September or October, when, scientists think, they head south. Pups return for up to three years to the estuary where they were born before expanding their range.

Recent shark sightings along the east coast have prompted officials to close beaches, which, Hueter said, was not a bad idea.

"When you get cases of shark bites on the east coast, it's typically spinners, black tips and the like mixing with swimmers and surfers," Hueter said. "It's not that great a danger, but if the sharks are there in large numbers and feeding, it's prudent to wait until they move off.

"On the other side, you're never going to have zero sharks in the water. You can go up in a plane off those beaches any time, especially now through September, and there are always sharks swimming off the beach."

Even if sharks are in the area, the chances of an unprovoked attack are slim.

Far more people are killed and injured by bees, lightning, or in bicycle accidents than by sharks ó from 1990 to 2001, there were 91,039 reported bicycle accidents and 1,401 bicycle fatalities in Florida; during the same period, sharks attacked 247 people in Florida and killed three.

Shark attacks in Florida are far more common on the east coast than the west: Since 1882, 418 of 500 attacks were on the east coast (four people have been attacked in Lee County, none fatally).

Many of Florida's shark attack victims have been surfers paddling through water where sharks are feeding, and sharks have accidentally nipped a hand or foot.

One reason for the discrepancy between east- and west-coast attacks, Hueter said, is that sharks on the west coast are more spread out, out to 15 or 20 miles, than on the east coast. The continental shelf on the west coast stretches 100 miles off shore but ends just a couple of miles offshore on the east coast.

The species that typically attack people in Florida are known as large coastal sharks, which prefer relatively shallow water of the continental shelf. The east coast's narrower shelf keeps sharks closer to shore.

George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File, gave another reason.

"Your chamber of commerce isn't going to like it, but Gulf Coast beaches are not as attractive as east coast beaches," he said. "People come to Daytona Beach or Palm Beach for spring break and to go surfing. There's no surf on the Gulf Coast. Without surf, there's no surfers, and surfers are a high-contact group. So it comes down to there are a lot more people going to the east coast than the west coast because of the beaches and surf. But the west coast has better condos."

Florida leads the United States in shark attacks: Since 1990, 322 of the nation's 490 shark attacks have happened in Florida.

In the past few years, the trend in shark attacks appears to be down, but appearances can be misleading, Burgess said.

"We like to look at bigger chunks of time, from decade to decade rather than year to year," be said. "There's simply great variability in the sea from year to year, changes in meteorological patterns, currents ó a cold current might keep sharks offshore one year."

One meteorological change occurred last year when Florida's shark attacks dropped from a 10-year average of 26 to 12.

"Clearly something was happening," Burgess said. "It's almost surely the hurricanes. A substantial part of the year when sharks get together and people go into the water was lost because a series of hurricanes either hit us or threatened to hit us, and it scared people away from the water. It's hard to have a shark attack when you're in your SUV bolting for Orlando."

Still, shark attacks have risen in the past few decades.

"There are more attacks every decade than in the previous decade," Burgess said. "That's going to continue as populations rise and the sea remains a popular place for recreation. Unless people suddenly get spooked about the ocean, we can safely predict that the first decade of the century will be higher than the 1990s."

While the odds of being attacked by a shark are low, people can lower them further with a little mnemonic device.

"In the months of 5 through 9, go swimming in the ocean from 9 to 5," Hueter said. "So, May through September, it's prudent to go swimming in the ocean during the daytime. Don't go at night, and avoid times when the sun is rising and setting, because that's when sharks are actively feeding. Use common sense, and don't worry about it."

----------------------------------
bold and italics are my addition.

BestofSanibelCaptiva.com
Like Us on Bestof Sanibel Captiva Facebook
CTinCT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Kim - are they sure they're not dolphins <vbg>?!!
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Shark migration over for now Reply with quote

JUNO BEACH ó Birds do it, butterflies do it, whales do it, and so do sharks. Migrate, that is. It causes quite a stir among national news media who aren't familiar with the annual shark migration, which results sometimes in hundreds of them seen from the air swarming just off shore.

That's what happened this week, but they're gone now, heading northward.

Beach patrols gave the all clear yesterday in Palm Beach and Broward counties. Surfers and beachgoers returned to the waves and sunny shores.

The sharks were mostly blacktips and spinners. They were chasing bait fish in their annual swim northward.

Come this fall, they'll make the same trip back south, which will be good for some more aerial shots by national television media.
Colleen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Swims with the Sharks Reply with quote

I was at Beachview Cottages (near West Wind on West Gulf) March 25 - April 2, and can confirm that those were definitely sharks. And they were in VERY shallow water -- right where the waves break near the shore. We first saw them (2) on March 25, and then the next day we were the only ones bobbing around in the waves and people started running down the beach toward us, waving their arms and yelling to get out of the water! We did without delay, and by then a group had gathered to watch. In just seconds the sharks were at the point we'd just emerged from. Yes, they were small, but I didn't want to test whether or not they'd notice us and take a bite. The sharks continued south toward the beach at Tarpon Bay Road. Didn't see them again, but I think others did.
PrncsPrple

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more sightings of sharks? I am going to Sanibel June 4-13 and was wondering if I should be cautious.

Thanks.
jazzy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what type of shark they are... there are many in this forum that are visiting the island in the near future... please be cautious... little ones tend to be gravitated to the water.... as for the larger island visitor take pictures!! Would love to see them...

See ya in 36 days.... Is my Corona on ice?

Jazzy
Kim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always shark in the Gulf and Bay waters. Are they the man-eating preditors Hollywood would like us to think? No! but they are there.

From the News-Press article above:

"In the months of 5 through 9, go swimming in the ocean from 9 to 5," Hueter said. "So, May through September, it's prudent to go swimming in the ocean during the daytime. Don't go at night, and avoid times when the sun is rising and setting, because that's when sharks are actively feeding. Use common sense, and don't worry about it."

BestofSanibelCaptiva.com

Last edited by Kim on Tue May 31, 2005 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say, "big water, big fish!"
steinbecke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: shark sightings Reply with quote

Hello everone,

I'm on sanibel for a month & yesterday morning early afternoon time my friend saw a nurse shark very close to the shore during high tide feeding on the small schools of fish. It was about 6 ft she said. I have seen sharks off and on throughout the years. Nurse sharks don't bother you.

I came down to the beach to 4 dolphin swimming. One was splasing his tail each time.

Pelicans were diving for fish & flying up & down the beach just above the water on the edge of the surf.

A 12" stingray/skate flipped out of the water landed on the sand & surfed back into the water

Osprey were soaring looking for prey.

Fish were jumping out of the water.

The water was so calm, it was just beautiful....I wasn't about to let a shark ruin my day :)

Jeanne
Kim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! No need for it too...

That sounds like a great day at the beach!!

BestofSanibelCaptiva.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> Beach & Sea - Secrets & Insights All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: